In May 2012 we went on an amazing holiday to Zimbabwe. We went to 4 places, all very different, and all offering something very special. We drove +/- 3200 km (2000 miles) in 3 weeks and visited Harare, Bulawayo, Victoria Falls and Mana Pools National Park.
We saw loads of wildlife, had a great time catching up with family and friends, and had a few cocktails along the way. I’ve called this journal The roadtrip that roared because a beautiful, powerful natural soundtrack was with us throughout our journey – from the thundering sound of the mighty Victoria Falls, to the growling of the cars we travelled in, to the night-time roar of lions in Mana Pools.
Over the next few posts, I’ll tell you about what we did, how we got around, and what we saw. I hope you’ll find it interesting and useful. This is also the first post of the Travel journal category in Great Zimbabwe Guide. If you’ve recently been on a trip to Zimbabwe and would like to share your journal with us, let me know!
Here’s a list of all the posts in the series:
- #1 Our arrival in Harare
- #2 Bulawayo
- #3 Victoria Falls: The roaring cloud of Victoria Falls
- #4 Victoria Falls: Waterfalls, casinos and golf courses
- #5 Victoria Falls: The Boma
- #6 Victoria Falls: Adrenalin ravine
- #7 Victoria Falls: Vultures at lunch, hippos at supper
- #8 Victoria Falls: Town and gorge
- #9 Harare: Harare and coffee
- #10 Mana Pools: Reassuringly wild
- #11 Mana Pools: Look, there’s a lion!
- #12 Mana Pools: Monkey games
- #13 Mana Pools: A fortunate series of events
- #14 Mana Pools: The stealth of an elephant